Saturday 8 November 2008

Let's talk make up



I don't know about you but I am not very adventurous when it comes to applying my make up, its liquid eyeliner, red lippy and pink cheeks generally. However, I am definitely booking myself in for a make up lesson with the amazing artistes at Illamasqua after spending about three hours on the website!

You may have read about Illumasqua in the new edition of Vogue, here is the blurb from the website...they put it so much more eloquently than I ever could...

Illamasqua is the product of a heady mix of influences. Its roots stem from the dark and illicit 1920s club scene and combines a rich heritage in the manufacture of make-up for film and theatre. It also takes inspiration from members of the ‘alternative scenes’ for whom self-expression is paramount. Alternative cultures have always dared to be dramatic. They have an emotional attachment to making up. It’s an expression of their darker side, a release for their alter ego.

Illamasqua is for the bolder person hiding inside all of us. It is an act and an attitude. A symbol of tolerance. A celebration of idiosyncracies. A confident statement of self-ownership.

The art team is headed up by Alex Box, who was omnipresent on the Boombox scene, she also is responsible for the make up at Gareth Pugh's shows. The other two members are Anja Huwe and David Vanian (leadsinger of The Damned)

Now don't go thinking that this range is a contender for shelve space at your local Boots next to Rimmel, oh no. The make up has been developed by stage and screen make up artists alongside regular make up artists and intended to be intense and long lasting.

Their collections include

1920s Berlin


Fantasy


Noir


Romance


My personal favourite has to be 1920s Berlin I think. Noir is very Grace Jones don't you think? Plus the trench in the Romance piccy is hot

There are instructional make up videos on the website hosted by Alex Box, I started watching them and was transfixed, not stopping until I'd seen them ALL. The red lipstick video is my favourite, who would have thought to use an eyebrow brush on your cupid's bow? The lipstick is called Box and Alex's black tipped nails are to die for too.

The photo below if from the launch of Illamasqua, I just love the girl with the red lip's look.


I'm a bit obsessed aren't I? I should stop talking now, ok.

Currently Selfrdiges on Oxford Street are stocking the brand and offering one hour make up lessons for £20 (redeemable on products) or if you want a 30 minute transformation they are offering this pre night out for £10, which is also redeemable.

No comments: